Halloween is just around the corner and if you’re looking for some decoration inspiration, you’ve landed on the right blog as we’re sharing three ideas that are so simple and festive, they’re scary.
Decorate your windows
Your window shutters will act as the backdrop for a spooky Halloween silhouette that you can create using black poster board. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Print the designs of your choosing on white paper. This could be a haunted house, black cat, jack-o-lantern, you name it.
- Cut the template to create a stencil and tape it to the black poster board and trace along the edges.
- Add wax paper to fit the pane of your window and tape along the frame.
- Use double-sided tape and arrange stencils to create the spooky look you’re going for.
To add extra flare, uplight the windows with an orange spotlight.
Style your mantle
The mantle is a great space to add festive decorations to bring a Halloween feel into your home.
From creepy candle sticks to pumpkins that match your color palette, the opportunities are seemingly endless.
When styling a mantle, start by removing everything from the surface to create a clean slate.
From there, you’ll want to decide on a focal point. This will be the center of attention which could be a candelabra, mirror, or any decoration that works in the space and goes with your theme.
Once you’ve identified your focal point, consider the following to add texture and height to your display:
- Spiderwebs to drape along the base of the mantle
- Decorative signs
When placing the decorations, some designers suggest creating a triangle and the focal point will act as the tip of the triangle from which you can build out the rest of your design.
Prep your porch
The front porch of your home is a blank canvas for you to add some Halloween flare.
Here are a few quick ideas:
- If you have a covered front entry way, consider hanging bats or witches hats at varying heights from the ceiling.
- Don’t neglect the rocking chair on your front porch. This is the perfect seat for a skeleton to relax.
- Whether you place them on either side of your stairs or next to a haystack, pumpkins and colourful mums are classic decorations that shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Dress up your porch pillars with corn stalks and uplight them with an orange spotlight
- Illuminate your entire display with Halloween-inspired string lights.
Keep these three tips in mind to add some last-minute decorations to your home.
From all of us at Avalon Shutters, we hope you have a safe and spooktacular Halloween!