If you’re considering making some upgrades to your bathroom, you’ve landed on the right blog.
Read on as we share four easy ideas to get you started.
Upgrade Light Fixtures
Outdated light fixtures do nothing but detract from the overall look and feel of your bathroom.
That’s why a simple swap can make a big difference.
If the light fixture has “good bones” don’t be too quick to get rid of it.
Consider using bathroom paint (contains antimicrobial additives that help resist mildew and mold) to upgrade the finish and swap out the old sconces for something that meshes well with the new design of your bathroom.
If you can’t salvage your existing piece, consider the following:
- If your bathroom doesn’t have a window, make sure the light fixture gives off enough light to illuminate the space
- If you’re looking for a bath light bar, choose one that’s no wider than the width of your cabinet or vanity
Your bathroom is a private and personal space in your home where you spend time getting ready, enjoying a bath after a stressful day, and carrying out your skincare routine before bed.
To keep it that way, consider incorporating window shutters in your bathroom design. By doing so, you’ll have control of how much natural light comes in during the day and get the privacy you deserve when you need it.
Tip: When it comes to shutter materials for a bathroom, we suggest poly because of its resistance to water.
Choose the Right Flooring
When it comes to bathroom flooring, you want to choose a material that can withstand water because this area of your house sees a lot of it.
From moisture to drips and spills, you’ll need to make sure your flooring choice can handle the wear and tear.
With all that in mind, ceramic or porcelain tile is a great flooring choice for your bathroom because it is waterproof, easy-to-clean, and customizable.
In fact, you can even find ceramic tile that looks like hardwood or stone to achieve your desired look.
Tip: Avoid flooring that’s porous (Ex: limestone) because it will absorb water and stain over time.
Create Storage Solutions
From toiletries and towels to medication and hair tools, your bathroom comes with a lot of baggage.
A great idea to consider when updating your bathroom is to create storage solutions that will neatly store all of your items.
Here are some ideas:
- Basket Shelves – This is a good solution to hold washcloths, toiletries, and other small items like Q-Tips and cotton balls in glass containers. It’s an open concept so you want to make sure everything you put in these basket shelves looks neat.
- Adhesive Hooks & Magnetic Memo Boards – What do you do with things like hair brushes and your makeup? Odds are, you store them underneath your sink. But, if you want to free up some space and still stay organized, consider using adhesive hooks or a magnetic memo board on the back of your vanity cabinets. Adhesive hooks are great for hanging things like your hair dryer and brush while magnetic memo boards are great for storing shavers and other smaller items like hair clips and bobby pins.
- Baskets – If you’re running out of room for towels, consider using baskets. To maximize the storage space, simply roll your towels rather than fold them. Baskets are more than just a functional option, they add some style to your bathroom, too.
Sometimes all it takes is a few small upgrades to transform your bathroom and these four ideas are a good place to start.